Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Which IP camera should I use with Security Monitor Pro?
Options
jackmi  
Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 5:53:26 PM(UTC)

hi,

I have a linksys wireless g router with a few computers wired to it at 100mbit. One of the computers serves a couple of non commercial webpages. My kids will play online games now and then, I'll watch a movie off the net, xfer some files etc. my setup can handle it with no hiccups. I'm planning to add 4 surveillance wireless cameras to it with a dedicated computer.
here are my questions:

1. Will my network be able to handle the four cams if in the worst case scenario they will all go into recording? will my everyday usage make the recordings jerky? Or should I setup a separate router+4cams+computer with a different ip setup?

2. I did research on the ip wireless cams and it seems there is alot of hit and miss. what camera would you say is a minimum and won't brake the bank? I know the cams have to be wireless, ok quality picture during the day and also in low light, and if possible at night. I read some cams will conflict if there are too many of them of the same kind and some are simply a pain in the neck to setup, forcing you to change too much of your routers settings. According to your FAQ, seems you tested quite a few cameras. Any particular model that comes to your mind?

thanks.
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:12:56 PM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
The bandwidth used by four cameras recording at once will be only a small fraction of a Wireless G network's capacity. You should not be able to notice any slowness when the cameras record.

DeskShare resells the TRENDnet TV-IP400W. This camera gives an excellent picture and has PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) capabilities. However, it is not capable of monitoring in low light conditions. For an inexpensive wireless camera with low light capabilities, you should consider the D-Link DCS-920. The price is very reasonable and you can use several on the same network without difficulty. This camera is fully supported by Security Monitor Pro.
jackmi  
Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 6:03:39 PM(UTC)

Do you have a recommendation for a basic night vision camera, please?

Thanks! Your post above shed lots of light on the topic!
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 12:32:35 PM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
The Toshiba IK-WB02A is an infrared night vision camera that is fully supported in Security Monitor Pro and WebCam Monitor. This is not a low-cost camera. It is medium priced. If anyone has a suggestion for a lower-cost night vision camera, please post it in this topic and we will be happy to add support for it.
pcs800  
Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 8:28:20 AM(UTC)

The Trendnet T156-2356 is a day/night cam and seems to be about $100 cheaper than the Toshiba IK-WB02A.
There is also the Trendnet TV-IP312W which is a day/night cam for about $200.00
Also, the above mentioned Trendnet IP400W is now the updated IP410W and sells for $199.00.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.