Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Sending e-mail to Gmail accounts
Options
rahamp  
Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 11:17:11 AM(UTC)

I'm trying to setup to use my gmail account, but am unable to send mail notices. From the gmail help, it seems that STARTTLS is required.

Regards,
Patrick
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Friday, June 17, 2005 10:06:31 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
First, please make sure that you have the latest version of WebCam Monitor. With version 3.5 and above, you can view E-mail log that can help you diagnose the problem.

Gmail accounts work with WebCam Monitor even when you do not configure the SMTP server. When you do not configure SMTP, WebCam Monitor will use your DNS settings to find out the mail server's address. Then it will use this address to send out e-mail. These two steps takes relatively more time than when you specify the SMTP server.

After sending a test e-mail, view the SMTP log and find a list of resolved SMTP servers. Configure the SMTP server with one of the server addresses listed in the log to speed up sending e-mails.
rahamp  
Posted : Friday, June 17, 2005 1:13:35 PM(UTC)

I am using version 3.5.

I did do a test as described in paragraph two. It worked. Oddly enough, without any settings in the Configure Mail Server window it works fine.

I was trying to configure to use Gmail's SMTP server as they described. Put in their settings and I kept getting a "The mail server denied access to accept or forward (relay) e-mail" message.

Thanks for your tip!

Patrick

Successful E-mail Log resolved the following mail servers:
Resolve Domain - Domain: gmail.com, Mail Server: gsmtp185-2.google.com
Resolve Domain - Domain: gmail.com, Mail Server: gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
Resolve Domain - Domain: gmail.com, Mail Server: gsmtp171.google.com
Resolve Domain - Domain: gmail.com, Mail Server: gsmtp171-2.google.com
Resolve Domain - Domain: gmail.com, Mail Server: gsmtp185.google.com

DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Monday, June 20, 2005 11:35:23 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
WebCam Monitor does not receive e-mails by connecting to mail servers. It simply sends e-mail through a mail server. If the mail server is specified then that server is used directly. Otherwise, a mail server is resolved from the domain name (gmail.com).

Simply use any one of the 5 mail servers resolved by WebCam Monitor. The E-mail Notification alert will then pick up the mail server directly and use it to send e-mails.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.