Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Aspect ratio for DVR-MS to MPEG conversion
Options
BenH  
Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:06:46 AM(UTC)

Hello all,

I'm quite new to all this, so please bare with me. I am trying to convert Windows media centre files DVR-MS into an MPEG format, but whenever I try to, the converted movie doesnt look right. The faces, for example, are very narrow and tall. Its as if I'm not converting the file into the right aspect ratio.

The Video properties when I look at the source file say its 704 x 480, but I cant seem to find a format that fits the same video dimension. I am in Australia so I am using PAL.

Both 4:3 and 16:9 dont look right. It nearly looks best using the Aspect Ratio of 2.21:1 which is cinemascope, but I cant work out why.

I'm watching these on my PC monitor, not a TV.

Can anyone help?
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:03:07 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
A standard MPEG 2 video that you can write to a DVD disk in NTSC is 720 x 480 pixels and 720 x 576 pixels in PAL. When you try to convert a 704 x 480 pixels video to these DVD video formats, Digital Media Converter will stretch the video to fit the DVD video dimension. Hence, the video will appear stretched or narrow.

The DVD aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 and 2.21:1) changes the Display Aspect Ratio of the video. The width and height of the actual MPEG 2 video is either 720 x 480 pixels or 720 x 576 pixels depending on the picture standard. The Display Aspect Ratio instructs the DVD player about the dimension in which the file should be played.

Since the aspect ratio of 704 x 480 pixels is nearest to 2.21:1 aspect ratio, you are able to view the video best in 2.21:1.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.