Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Converting NTSC DVD to PAL DVD
Options
chrisatleo  
Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2005 1:40:04 AM(UTC)

I have used DVD Decrypter to extract the vob & ifo files from an NTSC DVD onto the PC and want to just convert them to PAL before burning them back. I don't want to lose quality so thought to convert to MPEG2 DVD PAL which worked, but file sizes were only a quarter of the original, so I assume quality has been lost. Certainly on looking at the result there are visible artefacts.

I then tried DV AVI and got inverted video, and AVI gets very upset. I also tried just doing the AVI without standards conversion, thinking I might need 2 passes to achieve the result, but this was the same.

Any suggestions/advice?

Many thanks

Chris
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Monday, December 5, 2005 4:29:16 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
A standard NTSC DVD video is 720 x 480 pixels (width and height), while a standard PAL DVD video is 720 x 576 pixels. Since a PAL DVD video's height is more than that of NTSC DVD video, the aspect ratio of the source video is lost. Moreover, because the video has to be resized, some loss in quality is expected.

When using the DivX or XviD video compressor for converting to AVI, you might get inverted videos. This is a problem related to the compressor. You can use Digital Media Converter's Effects feature to flip the video to correct the inversion.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.