Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
MPEG-2 to WMV Question
Options
nkcaump  
Posted : Friday, July 6, 2007 4:40:19 AM(UTC)

Hello, love the program!

I am wanting to convert videos that are in MPEG-2 format, 720 x 480, 29 fps and put them in WMV format.

My goal is to make the file smaller and to utilize the metadata features of WMV files (can add comments, etc. for better playback in Windows Media Player.) But I don't want to lose the quality of the image.

I'm trying to use the WMV for Desktop Playback as recommended in this forum.

When I do that, the output is slightly choppy and the image seems stretched vertically. Almost as if it converted it to 640 x 480.

Is there a way to keep that same aspect ratio and also trim down the choppiness?
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 1:02:20 PM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
MPEG 2 files include a setting telling the player what aspect ratio to use -- that is, the shape of the image during playback. WMV files do not. Your MPEG file is probably meant to play back at the 4:3 ratio of most TV sets and computer monitors. When the video is converted into a 720x480 WMV, it plays back at a different ratio and looks stretched, as you say.

To fix this, convert the files using the "WMV - for desktop viewing" setting, and click the Properties button. On the Properties tab, select "DVD Quality Video (2 MBPS CBR)". For the "Encoded BitRate" select "2000 kbps 640x480". Converting to a 640x480 image will produce a WMV file that plays back without stretching, and the very high quality setting should eliminate any choppiness.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.