Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Audio-only DVR-MS to MP3 now producing massive files!
Options
DJM  
Posted : Monday, December 24, 2007 12:30:45 PM(UTC)

Dear Sirs

First, may I say that I think Digital Media Converter is a great product and was ideal for my niche - I like to record Radio programmes from Freeview using Windows Media Centre. These come off as audio-only DVR-MS files which I use DMC to convert to MP3, so that I can listen to them on the way to work.

All was hunky-dory - A one hour Radio programme converted to an approximately 55,000 KB MP3 file of default quality (44 KHz, 128 Kbps).

Until this week. For some reason, from a one hour Radio programme, DMC is producing massive MP3 files, approximately 1.5 Gb, taking about 30 minutes to make. Files this big are no longer a viable option to transfer to my MP3 player (takes ages). I have checked and there has been no change in the output file quality settings (still Default). I have also unhatched the MPEG decoders listed in the Compatability window (Settings) and have re-run the latest free Deskshare `mpeg2decoder' exe. All to no avail. It's turning a 330,000 Kb DVR-MS file into a 1,350,000 Kb MP3 file! What could have happened?

The only thing I have done in the past week was install Corel Paintshop Pro X2. Could this bring with it an MPEG2 codec which has mucked up how DMC converts my DVR-MS files? Nothing with a reference to PSP is listed in the Compatibility window in DMC.

I would greatly appreciate your advice. I want my system that was working so well back please.

Yours sincerely
Dominic
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 7:39:44 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Dominic:

It's possible that the software you installed (or one of its accessories) interfered with the required codec.

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the newest version of Digital Media Converter.

First, uninstall using the Windows Control Panel.

Then remove the directory:

C:\Program Files\DeskShare\Digital Media Converter

Finally download the latest version and install. You can download the program here:

https://www.deskshare.co...nload_details.aspx?ID=18

This should fix the problem.
DJM  
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:51:43 AM(UTC)

Dear Sir
Thank you very much for your reply.
I did just as you said and, touch wood, it has worked. The MP3 files produced are back to their good old small-proportioned selves. Digital Media Converter is doing just what I want it to and I am a happy chap again! I assume it was the Paint Shop Pro installation that caused the problem. It has not meant that I have had to delete PSP from my computer though. It has merely meant re-installing DMC afterwards.
best wishes
Dominic
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Monday, June 16, 2008 10:22:01 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
It is worth mentioning that Digital Media Converter Pro is not as vulnerable to interference from other software, because it does not use Windows components to handle encoding or decoding. This also means that there is no need to download and install separate components like the GPL MPEG 2 decoder and the PSP Toolkit for specific conversions. All required elements are part of the program download.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.