Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Compressing MOV files
Options
docutype  
Posted : Friday, July 9, 2004 3:42:32 PM(UTC)

I took a Quicktime .mov and converted it to AVI. The original .mov was 6 mb and about 4 minutes long. When I convert to AVI, it becomes 25 mb.

I cut off about 1 minute from the end and "make Movie" so I could save it as a .mov again. Well, when I save the file (even after cutting off 1 minute), it is 33 mb.

So, I looked up in the Help menu on compressing and it says to open the Video Compressor drop down menu. I am unable to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Janice
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2004 10:52:32 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Please make sure that you are using the latest version of Video Edit Magic. You can obtain the latest version from https://www.deskshare.com/vem.aspx (Note: Video Edit Magic Express does not support making movies in QuickTime).

To make compressed QuickTime file:

1. After editing your clip on the timeline, point to the `File' menu and click `Make Movie'.
2. From `Output Format', select `QuickTime Movie Format (MOV)' and click `Next'.
3. The Video and Audio Compressor boxes are available in this step. Select the appropriate compressors and other QuickTime properties.
4. Click `Next' to start making movie.

Refer to the `Make Movie' section in Video Edit Magic's help file for details.
docutype  
Posted : Monday, July 19, 2004 10:22:53 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your response.

I found the compression options but wow... there are tons and, being the amature at this that I am, I have no idea what each of them means or can do. So, I have been playing around and trying different options.

Can you provide me with any tips on making a movie for QuickTime that is both small but yet has good quality? I would also like to offer it as a Windows Media Player movie and an MPG (I plan to have 3 links on my site so people can choose their own option).

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to your reponse to this question.

Janice
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2004 10:45:52 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
If you plan to post your videos on your website then file size is an important consideration. Moreover, you have to make sure that the videos are viewable over the highest range of internet speeds.

Windows Media and QuickTime are better suited for the internet as compared to MPEG as they can be streamed and produce smaller files. On the other hand, MPEG is the most portable video format amongst various hardware devices and has better quality.

For Windows Media, simply select a profile best suited for your internet audience. The profiles configures all quality and bandwidth issues automatically.

For QuickTime, the best way is to experiment with different video and audio compressors to get an acceptable video/audio quality with least file size.

For MPEG, you must create a standard complaint file. For example, if you want the file to play on any VCD/DVD player (after burning) then create the MPEG movie in VCD format.

For Windows Media and QuickTime, it is best to create 2-3 different video files at different bit-rates and varying quality. Your audience will be able to view a video with a bit-rate less than the internet bandwidth available to them.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.