Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Converted file size related to DVD playback
Options
fly4doe  
Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2005 5:03:20 PM(UTC)

I use Digital Media Converter to convert a .dvr-ms file to an MPEG-2 to burn it to a DVD player suitable DVD disk. The subject files are (I believe) about 3.3gigs (3,300,000KB) or about 60 minutes of streamed TV. After conversion the resulting files are displayed to be about .6gig. When I go to burn this to a DVD using Sonic or any other product it tells me that one of these resulting MPEG2 files nearly fills up a 4.7gig DVD using aproximately 4.1gig of space. That is more than the origninal converted .drv-ms file took up in the first place.
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2005 2:07:54 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
The file size of an MPEG 2 video does not determine what you can store on to a DVD. It is the duration of the MPEG 2 video that determines the amount of video on a DVD.

The reason we want a low file size is for PC storage or data-DVD storage, which can only play on a PC. For a video DVD that can playback on a DVD player, the only determining factor is the duration.

Make sure that you are creating a video DVD and not a data DVD using your burning software.
fly4doe  
Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2005 5:06:27 PM(UTC)

If duration is the limiting constraint on for standalone DVD playback why do some commercial disks contain say 180 minutes of features (as in 4 x 45 minute TV episodes) plus an extra feature of 10 minutes or so? whereas, I haven't found a way to squeeze 120 minutes (2 x 2hr shows of which I haven't found a way to edit out the commercials) onto a disk?

Thanks in advance.
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Friday, August 12, 2005 8:09:06 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
The standard DVD holds exactly 120 minutes requiring 4.7GB. This is the most compatible format.

Digital Media Converter currently does not support squeezing more time on a standard DVD. In future versions, we are planning to support longer playing modes for DVDs.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.