Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Reducing AVI File Size
Options
probono  
Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 9:15:57 PM(UTC)

I have a 30-minute AVI file I've tried to cut 2 minutes from. The finished file is always the same size or bigger than the original. I've kept all the properties the same, and I still want to save it as an AVI file.

An older post suggested using Microsoft MPEG-4 for video and MPEG Layer-3 for audio. Neither of these are listed in the drop-down encoder/compressor menus. Can I download them from somewhere?

On a side note, I've tried downloading the xVid codec but it crashes the entire program every time I try to use it.
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Monday, May 12, 2008 2:08:45 PM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Using MPEG 4 compression will give you a signficant size reduction. You can download the Microsoft MPEG 4 codec from Undercut.org. For audio, please try µ-Law compression.

If using Xvid compression is causing program crashes on your system, it is likely to be conflicting with some other software or codec that is installed. We have done very extensive testing using Video Edit Magic and Xvid together without any stability problems.
probono  
Posted : Monday, May 12, 2008 7:41:36 PM(UTC)

Can you suggest others that would be compatible with Vista?
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:40:53 PM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

AVI compressed with MPEG4 and µ-Law is fully compatible with Vista.

Unless you have a specific reason to continue using AVI format, you could distribute your movie as Windows Media Video (WMV), which will give you very small file sizes and excellent quality. Windows Media format is also compatible with all versions of Windows, including Vista.

olds97_lss  
Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:25:26 PM(UTC)

DeskShare - Support wrote:
Using MPEG 4 compression will give you a signficant size reduction. You can download the Microsoft MPEG 4 codec from Undercut.org. For audio, please try µ-Law compression.

If using Xvid compression is causing program crashes on your system, it is likely to be conflicting with some other software or codec that is installed. We have done very extensive testing using Video Edit Magic and Xvid together without any stability problems.

Not sure if anyone looks here anymore... but, if I download the codec pack from there and install it, how do I get Video Edit Magic to use it? Under AVI, I still get the same codec choices as I did before. I'm using VEM 4.4

Thanks
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:59:45 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

As we mentioned before, Xvid compression works fine with Video Edit Magic in almost every case, and offers both very good video quality and excellent compression. Unless you have a specific reason not to use it, you should try Xvid for your MPEG 4 compressor.

You can download the Xvid compressor for Windows XP and Vista here https://www.xvidmovies.com.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.