Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Configuration for remote monitoring
Options
yanros  
Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:10:40 PM(UTC)

I'd like to use my webcam for the remote monitoring.

I am using PC windows XP, Logitech webcam for notebooks deluxe and Linksys vireless router model WCG200

What is the right configuration do I need to make in order to make it work ?

Please give me as much details as possible including port forwarding on the router, what kind of local computer IP do I need to have and etc.

Thanks in advance.
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:58:06 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Please refer to the following article on how to monitor remotely:
https://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/wcm_viewcameraremotely.aspx

Basically, you need a static IP if you want to stream video or audio data from your local computer. If you have a dynamic IP then you can use a service provided by https://www.dyndns.com/ for streaming. Please search this forum for more information on using dynamic IPs for streaming.
yanros  
Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2005 7:49:39 AM(UTC)

I wasn't able to find anything which talks about the situation when you are using router in this case, would you please help with that.

And one more thing, you are saying that Live streaming will not work on non routable IP addresses. A non routable IP address starts with 192.x.x.x - yes my IP address starts with 192.x - what do I need to do to have another IP which would be routable ?
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Friday, October 28, 2005 6:30:55 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Live Streaming requires a static or dynamic IP address. IP addresses starting with 192.x.x.x are non-routable. If you have a non-routable IP address then you cannot use it for remotely viewing a streamed video.

If you have a dynamic IP address (IPs assigned by your ISP and keeps changing everytime you log on) then you would require a service provided by the website www.dyndns.com. This service links your dynamic IP address to a static IP address. You can then then connect to this new IP address instead.
yanros  
Posted : Friday, October 28, 2005 8:45:24 AM(UTC)

But if I am using Linksys router which has it's IP address starting with 24.6.88.... for the outside world what should I do in this case ?

As far as I understand the Linksys router with IP 24.6.x.x talks to my computer through it's IP 192.x.x.x

What does it mean non-routable IP ?
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2005 6:22:27 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Your ISP has assigned a single IP address that your router is using. In this case it is 24.6.88..., which everyone can see outside and inside your network.

Your internal network is connected to the router which in turn assigns non-routable IP addresses starting with 192.x.x.x. These are IP addresses that are visible within the network and not to the outside world.

You cannot use the 192.x.x.x IPs for remotely monitoring outside the network. You can monitor from within your network.

There are multiple ways to monitor remotely. You can always use the FTP upload and E-mail Notification with image attachments.
NickNJ  
Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:43:52 PM(UTC)

I have a router and a 194.xxx IP. To view my stream from the same computer running WCM I use 194.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 Others can view the stream from my IP 168.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 as long as I forward port 8080 in my router control panel. (My router config calls it "virtual servers") Read your router manual. I'm sure you can forward your video feed port and allow access with your ISP assigned IP address.
yanros  
Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2005 8:09:23 AM(UTC)

Hi, thanks for the tip.
You use 194.xxx.xxx.xxx IP which is routable and allow you to stream video
I have non-routable local IP addresses starting with 192.x.x.x. and cannot use it for streaming.
How can I get routable IP ?
sighlous  
Posted : Monday, December 5, 2005 7:17:40 AM(UTC)

What you need to do is:
1: specify the port number in WCM ie 6443
2: login to your linksys router and use the port forwarding option to forward requests on your external (*Publicly routable) address to the internal address of the machine running WCM for the specified port.

** there is also a DMZ option in most routers. You can also put the ipaddress of the WCM machine in the DMZ, but beware it makes that pc almost as if it were on the connection with out the router. ie possibly vulenerable.

Then to connect remotely you would open Window Media Player on the remote machine goto open url, and type ' mms://ipaddress_of_router:port#
ayabar  
Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 6:32:55 AM(UTC)

Hi, I am new in this matters so let me check if I understood your directions
1) no problem I can choose any port
2)I have the XAVI7768, it does not have port forwarding option, so I no idea how to get this step, any idea?
I try to open a port but when ask me for an address of my router I type 192.168.1.1 which is my gateway, so do I made a mistake I had to type instead of 192.168.1.1 my public address which is 200.xx.xxx.xx.xx?
I am really lost so please help me, thanks for any advice

Alvaro
ayabar  
Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2006 6:49:43 PM(UTC)

Hi, so far I have learned that I have three IPs, one public or external router which is dynamis but I turn static, the second the internal router which is 192.168.1.1 always and the third the IP of my PC which is 192.168.1.2 always.
I have to forward one port in order to make routable my IP address and used for viewing a streamed video.
So when I get into my router and open a port they ask me for an internal port so I wrote 192.168.1.2 (My PC IP) and a port whatever
Then I write the same port in my WCM settings. But when I try to wacth from my office the windows media player show me a message,"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct."
So what am I doing wrong?, please I really need help on this.
Just in case I use OS Windows XP in both places in my house I have speedy 200 from telefonica and XAVI7768 router in my office I have speedy 600 from telefonica and XAVI 7768router. In my home I have 304Mb RAM memory in my PC
thanks
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.