Capturing from a Web Camera
To capture video/audio footage from a web camera:
- Make sure that you have connected the web camera to your computer and have configured it correctly. Also make sure that other applications are not using the capture device.
- Open the capture tool.
- Make sure that you select the web camera as the device you want to capture from. If the selected device is different then change the capture device.
- Select the folder where you want to save the captured file. The capture tool sequences file names by appending a number if the file with the same name already exists in the selected folder.
- By default, the capture tool captures audio with video. You can choose to turn off audio.
- If required change video, camera and audio settings or formats like video dimensions, frame rate etc.
- You can choose to capture in AVI format or WMV format. Generally AVI files will be larger, but easier and quicker to edit.
- If you do not want to preview video and audio while capturing, you can turn off previewing by opening the Capture menu and checking Hide Preview During Capture. Turning off the preview decreases the amount of work your computer has to do during capture, and thus helps to reduce the dropped frame rate.
- Confirm the capture file name and folder. You can change them by clicking on the Folder link (under Save Options ) and then the Browse button.
- Capture Entire Tape option is disabled for web camera and can be enabled only when DV Camera is selected. The Manually Stop Capture option is automatically selected.
- Click the Start Capture button to start capturing. While capturing, the capture window displays the number of Frames Captured and Captured Duration under Capture Options.
- Refer to Estimated Disc Space available on under Save Options to be sure your capture file doesn't completely fill your disk.
- Capture Options displays the Format in which the video will be captured. It also shows the Captured Duration (in hh:mm:ss) and the number of Frames Captured while capturing is in progress.
- To stop capturing, open the Capture menu and click Stop or click the Stop Capture button.
- The Capture Summary opens. It shows you details like Captured File Name, Captured File Duration, Captured File Format and Audio Captured (either Yes or No depending on whether it was captured or not). It asks you What would you like to do with the captured file? You have buttons to Preview, Save or Discard. The Add captured file to Videos and Photos Collection option is checked by default.