Capturing from a Web Camera
To capture video/audio footage from a Web Camera:
- Make sure that you have connected the Web Camera to your computer and have configured it correctly. Also make sure that other applications are not using the capture device.
- Make sure that you select the Web Camera as the device you want to capture from. If the selected device is different then change the capture device.
- Select the folder where you want to save the captured file. The capture tool sequences file names by appending a number if the file with the same name already exists in the selected Capture To folder.
- By default, the capture tool captures audio with video. You can choose to turn off audio.
- If required change video, camera and audio settings or formats like video output size, frame rate etc.
- You can choose to capture in AVI format or WMV format.
- If you do not want to preview footage while capturing, you can turn off preview by pointing to the Capture menu and checking the Hide Preview During Capture option. By default this option is un-checked. Basically, this option decreases the amount of work your computer has to do during capture and thus helps to reduce the dropped frame rate.
- Confirm the capture file name and folder. If required you can choose to change them now by clicking on the Folder link (under Save Options) and then clicking the Browse button.
- Capture entire Tape option is disabled for Web Camera and can be enabled only when DV Camera is selected. By default Manually Stop Capture option is selected.
- Click the Start Capture button to start capturing. While capturing, the capture window displays the number of Frames Captured and Captured Duration under Save Options.
- Refer to Estimated Disc Space available on followed by the name of the disc and space available in MB under Save Options to know about the space available while the capture is going on.
- Capture Options displays the Format in which the video will be captured. It also shows the Captured Duration (in hh:mm:ss) and the number of Frames Captured while capturing is in progress.
- To stop capturing, point to the Capture menu and click Stop or click the Stop Capture button.
- The Capture Summary dialog opens. It shows you details like Captured File Name, Captured File Duration, Captured File Format and Audio Captured (either Yes or No depending on whether it was captured or not). It asks you What would you like to do with the captured file? You have buttons to Preview, Save or Discard. The Add captured file to Collections Window option is checked by default.