Media Converter is a convenient utility to convert from all popular media file formats to compressed AVI format.
- Supported Media File Formats
- Using Media Converter
- Using AVI Compression
Supported Media File Formats
Most of the commonly used media file formats are supported by Video Edit Magic:
Supported Input Formats
- Audio Video Interleaved (AVI)
- Windows Media Audio (WMA)
- Windows Media Video (WMV)
- QuickTime (MOV)
- Motion Picture Experts Group (MPEG 1, MPEG 2, MPEG 4, VOB)
The recommended or full installation of QuickTime 7 is required to convert from QuickTime to AVI. QuickTime's online or standalone installer can be obtained from the URL: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/.
It is recommended that you install the free MPEG-2 decoder setup from: http://www.deskshare.com/download/mpeg2decoder.exe
It is recommended that you install the free MPEG-4 decoder setup from: http://www.deskshare.com/download/mpegabledsdecoder.exe
Using Media Converter
To open Media Converter:
- On the Tools menu, click on Media Converter.
- Click Next on the welcome screen of the Media File Conversion Wizard.
- Select one or more Files to Convert by clicking on Add button. Specify the Destination Folder where you want to save the converted file by clicking on Browse. Click Next.
- You may also select a Video Compressor and/or an Audio Compressor to reduce the file size of the converted AVI file. The Auto select settings based on: option chooses video and audio compressors based on the requirements you specify. Click Next to start the conversion process.
The conversion process may take time depending on the duration and dimension of the source files you select. A Video and/or Audio compressor may also slow down the process of conversion. When you are converting an AVI file, the Media Converter displays the estimated time left for the conversion to be completed.
Using AVI Compression
Recommended Video Compressors
- Microsoft Video 1
- Cinepak Codec by Radius
- Indeo Video Compression filters
- MJPEG compressor
Not all Video and Audio compressors may give you desired results. Some installed compressors are specific to an application and may not work. A good choice of compressors can result in both good quality and a small file size.
In batch conversion, temporary files are created in a separate folder, with the folder name VEMTemp. This folder is created in the destination folder itself.